Friday, February 20, 2015

Proposed Garden Rules

The Leadership Team, NeighborSpace, and the gardeners who attended the potluck have all worked on updating the rules for the Howard Area Community Garden. The latest version of the proposed rules are below. Please let us know what you think!




Rules for Participation in the
Howard Area Community Garden
(revised 2/2015)

As a gardener in the Howard Area Community Garden, I agree to abide by the following rules:

1. I use this garden at the sole discretion of the Howard Area Community Garden Leadership Team. I agree to abide by its policies and practices.

2. The fee for the use of the garden is $15 per plot, per year, payable on or before May 1 of each year. There are no refunds. (Fee waivers are available in hardship cases.)

3. Gardens must be cultivated and planted before June 1 (or within two weeks of assignment, if after that date). Gardens must be cleaned and "put to bed" by Dec. 1.

4. I understand that each gardener is asked to donate labor towards the betterment of the entire garden. This service may be done during the scheduled workdays, or on my own as arranged with a member of the Leadership Team. There are many jobs to choose from, and if we all pitch in, the work will be spread out fairly and no one volunteer will get burned out.

5. I understand that the Howard Area Community Garden is an organic garden. Only organic fertilizers, compost, and manure may be used in the garden. Non-organic and other chemical fertilizers or pesticides are prohibited. Painted wood or posts are not allowed. Dyed mulch is prohibited.

6. I will keep all my plants within the limits of my garden plot and will not allow any plants to grow more than six feet high. I will do my best to keep my plot free of weeds, pests, and diseases.

7. I will keep my plot, paths, and surrounding areas clean and neat. I will put kitchen waste and plant material into the compost, and weeds/diseased plants/litter into the trash cans. Anything I bring from my home, I will take back home. I will not bring household trash and leave it at the Howard Area Community Garden.

8. Only one plot per household. If I adopt an abandoned plot during the season with permission from the Leadership Team, I understand that I must relinquish it for the following year.

9. The water hydrant is provided by NeighborSpace, the owner of the property, and is to be used ONLY for watering gardens, not to wash cars. I will conserve water and be considerate of other gardeners who are waiting for their turn. Water is turned on by NeighborSpace in mid-May, and turned off mid-November.

10. I understand that illegal plants, smoking, alcohol, illegal drug use, gambling, weapons or pets are not permitted the garden.

11. Guests and visitors may enter the garden only if I accompany them. They must follow all rules stated above. I will supervise my children at all times when they are in the garden. I understand that I am solely responsible for the behavior of my guests.

12. I will do my best to attend the regular garden member meetings, educational programs, and workdays.

13. I will not make duplicate keys of any locks at the garden, or give my key or lock combination to another person. If I lose a key, I will pay $2 for a replacement. If I am the last person to leave the garden, I will make sure all locks are secure.

14. I will never take food, plants, tools, or anything else from other gardeners’ plots. I will not take anything from the garden that is not rightfully mine.

15. If I intend to return to my plot the following year, I will notify the HACG Leadership Team by phone, email, or mail before April 1. If I do not do this, I understand the plot will be reassigned.

16. I will respect other gardeners. I will use appropriate language and refrain from discriminating against others.

17. I will work to keep the garden a happy, secure, and enjoyable place where all participants can garden and socialize peacefully in a neighborly manner.


Violations

The Howard Area Community Garden Leadership Team is the highest governing authority at the Howard Area Community Garden. I understand that breaking any of the above rules is cause for loss of my plot privileges.

Breaking Rule 10 or 14 will result in immediate loss of garden membership.

In the event of a violation of the remaining rules:

1. The violator will receive one verbal/e-mail reminder from the garden coordinator.

2. If no response or correction has been made within two weeks, the violator will receive a written notice mailed to their current address.

3. In another two weeks, if no response or correction has been made, the violator will receive a written final notification that they have forfeited their gardening privileges and plot. The plot may be reassigned and no fees will be returned.

4. The violator may be allowed to reapply for another garden plot the following year, at the discretion of the Leadership Team.


No comments:

Post a Comment